- Ouch July 14
Alaska Senator Mark Begich (D) has a message for his constituents: Re-elect me, and I'll keep being a pain in President Obama's butt. From The Washington Post:
When Sen. Mark Begich talks about his role in American politics, he describes himself as a sharp object, sent to Washington to jab at President Obama.
"I'll be a thorn in his [posterior]," Begich (D-Alaska) said in an interview. "There's times when I'm a total thorn, you know, and he doesn't appreciate it." [Washington Post]
Begich finds himself in the unenviable position of being a red-state Democratic incumbent in a year when neither incumbents nor President Obama are very popular. (The latest New York Times forecast gives him a 49 percent chance of returning to Washington next year.) Which explains why, in an attempt save his own seat, he's talking openly about pricking Obama in his.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week