- Daydream Belieber July 15
Last year, songwriter Toby Sheldon gained some notoriety for spending more than $100,000 on plastic surgery to make him look like Justin Bieber. This past weekend, Sheldon imitated his aesthetic idol in another way, appearing on TV to share his artistic endeavors with the world — or at least the audience of E!'s Botched, a series about plastic surgery gone awry.
The first problem with Sheldon's goal to look like an 18-year-old Bieber is that Sheldon is 33 years old. He has already had hair transplants, Aquamid injections, liposuction, and multiple cosmetic surgery operations to change his face, even his smile, to look like the 20-year-old Canadian bad boy singer. He now tells Botched's plastic surgeons, Dr. Terry Dubrow and Dr. Paul Nassif, that he wants to shrink his forehead and jaw.
After the doctors point out that performing such an operation would make Sheldon look like a Neanderthal, he says he can wear a hat for a while: "It's two months of misery for a lifetime of happiness." And after Dubrow and Nassif turn him down, People reports, Sheldon is unfazed: "I've been turned down by tens and tens of surgeons before and look what happened." He means that in a good way. Watch below to judge for yourself. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week