- Daydream Belieber July 15
Last year, songwriter Toby Sheldon gained some notoriety for spending more than $100,000 on plastic surgery to make him look like Justin Bieber. This past weekend, Sheldon imitated his aesthetic idol in another way, appearing on TV to share his artistic endeavors with the world — or at least the audience of E!'s Botched, a series about plastic surgery gone awry.
The first problem with Sheldon's goal to look like an 18-year-old Bieber is that Sheldon is 33 years old. He has already had hair transplants, Aquamid injections, liposuction, and multiple cosmetic surgery operations to change his face, even his smile, to look like the 20-year-old Canadian bad boy singer. He now tells Botched's plastic surgeons, Dr. Terry Dubrow and Dr. Paul Nassif, that he wants to shrink his forehead and jaw.
After the doctors point out that performing such an operation would make Sheldon look like a Neanderthal, he says he can wear a hat for a while: "It's two months of misery for a lifetime of happiness." And after Dubrow and Nassif turn him down, People reports, Sheldon is unfazed: "I've been turned down by tens and tens of surgeons before and look what happened." He means that in a good way. Watch below to judge for yourself. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week