- Colbert Nationalism July 16
On Tuesday night's Colbert Report, host Stephen Colbert picked up on a new conservative complaint that President Obama has traded in governing for early retirement — dinner parties in Europe, beer and pool with Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D), and preparations to vacation on Martha's Vineyard. (Here's Ed Morrissey's version at The Week.) Obama is "doing something far worse than destroying America," Colbert said, in his version. "He is slacking off at destroying America."
"It's clear what's going on here: The president has senioritis," Colbert said. "He's in the last two semesters of his presidency, and he's totally checked out." This is where things get sort of delightfully strange, and possibly personal, on the Report. But Colbert brings it on home at the end, telling Obama: "Let's face it, you've only got two years left before graduation, and you are looking at an 'F' in econ." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week