- Colbert Nationalism July 16
On Tuesday night's Colbert Report, host Stephen Colbert picked up on a new conservative complaint that President Obama has traded in governing for early retirement — dinner parties in Europe, beer and pool with Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D), and preparations to vacation on Martha's Vineyard. (Here's Ed Morrissey's version at The Week.) Obama is "doing something far worse than destroying America," Colbert said, in his version. "He is slacking off at destroying America."
"It's clear what's going on here: The president has senioritis," Colbert said. "He's in the last two semesters of his presidency, and he's totally checked out." This is where things get sort of delightfully strange, and possibly personal, on the Report. But Colbert brings it on home at the end, telling Obama: "Let's face it, you've only got two years left before graduation, and you are looking at an 'F' in econ." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week