- Colbert Nationalism July 16
On Tuesday night's Colbert Report, host Stephen Colbert picked up on a new conservative complaint that President Obama has traded in governing for early retirement — dinner parties in Europe, beer and pool with Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D), and preparations to vacation on Martha's Vineyard. (Here's Ed Morrissey's version at The Week.) Obama is "doing something far worse than destroying America," Colbert said, in his version. "He is slacking off at destroying America."
"It's clear what's going on here: The president has senioritis," Colbert said. "He's in the last two semesters of his presidency, and he's totally checked out." This is where things get sort of delightfully strange, and possibly personal, on the Report. But Colbert brings it on home at the end, telling Obama: "Let's face it, you've only got two years left before graduation, and you are looking at an 'F' in econ." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- In defense of family dinner
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week