- Colbert Nationalism July 16
On Tuesday night's Colbert Report, host Stephen Colbert picked up on a new conservative complaint that President Obama has traded in governing for early retirement — dinner parties in Europe, beer and pool with Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D), and preparations to vacation on Martha's Vineyard. (Here's Ed Morrissey's version at The Week.) Obama is "doing something far worse than destroying America," Colbert said, in his version. "He is slacking off at destroying America."
"It's clear what's going on here: The president has senioritis," Colbert said. "He's in the last two semesters of his presidency, and he's totally checked out." This is where things get sort of delightfully strange, and possibly personal, on the Report. But Colbert brings it on home at the end, telling Obama: "Let's face it, you've only got two years left before graduation, and you are looking at an 'F' in econ." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week