- So long, Jeets July 16
Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright paid tribute to Derek Jeter twice Tuesday night, first when he stepped off the mound to let the Yankee legend soak in the applause, and then again when he sent a fastball floating down the middle, just begging to be hit. Jeter did just that, swatting the offering to right field for a double.
After the game, Wainwright admitted to tossing a total meatball.
Adam Wainwright admitted he grooved a fastball to Derek Jeter in the first: “I was gonna give him a couple pipe shots. He deserved it."— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 16, 2014
And, when critics complained about Wainwright stomping on the game's integrity, the hurler apologized, saying he was "an idiot."
The parting gift was reminiscent of the easy cheese Cal Ripken, Jr., swatted for a home run in the 2001 All-Star Game. And though Jeter's double made for a tidy ending, too — the aging Jeets returning to vintage form with a signature line drive to the opposite field — the scripting undercut some of the magic in the supposedly spontaneous moment.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
Subscribe to the Week