- So long, Jeets July 16
Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright paid tribute to Derek Jeter twice Tuesday night, first when he stepped off the mound to let the Yankee legend soak in the applause, and then again when he sent a fastball floating down the middle, just begging to be hit. Jeter did just that, swatting the offering to right field for a double.
After the game, Wainwright admitted to tossing a total meatball.
Adam Wainwright admitted he grooved a fastball to Derek Jeter in the first: “I was gonna give him a couple pipe shots. He deserved it."— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 16, 2014
And, when critics complained about Wainwright stomping on the game's integrity, the hurler apologized, saying he was "an idiot."
The parting gift was reminiscent of the easy cheese Cal Ripken, Jr., swatted for a home run in the 2001 All-Star Game. And though Jeter's double made for a tidy ending, too — the aging Jeets returning to vintage form with a signature line drive to the opposite field — the scripting undercut some of the magic in the supposedly spontaneous moment.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
Subscribe to the Week