- Oops July 16
Arizona congressional candidate Adam Kwasman thought he'd found himself a flashpoint campaign issue to rally around. What he actually found, though, was a bus full of summer campers.
The Republican state legislator joined protesters in Oracle, Arizona, on Tuesday who wanted to impede a bus full of undocumented migrant children from reaching a nearby shelter. And after a random yellow school bus passed, Kwasman told The Arizona Republic about the horror he'd witnessed.
"I was able to actually see some of the children in the buses, and the fear on their faces," he said. "This is not compassion."
Except the bus was not headed to the shelter, but rather to a YMCA summer camp. Told that the children were campers, not migrants, Kwasman responded: "They were sad too." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week