- Oops July 16
Arizona congressional candidate Adam Kwasman thought he'd found himself a flashpoint campaign issue to rally around. What he actually found, though, was a bus full of summer campers.
The Republican state legislator joined protesters in Oracle, Arizona, on Tuesday who wanted to impede a bus full of undocumented migrant children from reaching a nearby shelter. And after a random yellow school bus passed, Kwasman told The Arizona Republic about the horror he'd witnessed.
"I was able to actually see some of the children in the buses, and the fear on their faces," he said. "This is not compassion."
Except the bus was not headed to the shelter, but rather to a YMCA summer camp. Told that the children were campers, not migrants, Kwasman responded: "They were sad too." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week