- Oops July 16
Arizona congressional candidate Adam Kwasman thought he'd found himself a flashpoint campaign issue to rally around. What he actually found, though, was a bus full of summer campers.
The Republican state legislator joined protesters in Oracle, Arizona, on Tuesday who wanted to impede a bus full of undocumented migrant children from reaching a nearby shelter. And after a random yellow school bus passed, Kwasman told The Arizona Republic about the horror he'd witnessed.
"I was able to actually see some of the children in the buses, and the fear on their faces," he said. "This is not compassion."
Except the bus was not headed to the shelter, but rather to a YMCA summer camp. Told that the children were campers, not migrants, Kwasman responded: "They were sad too." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week