- Oops July 16
Arizona congressional candidate Adam Kwasman thought he'd found himself a flashpoint campaign issue to rally around. What he actually found, though, was a bus full of summer campers.
The Republican state legislator joined protesters in Oracle, Arizona, on Tuesday who wanted to impede a bus full of undocumented migrant children from reaching a nearby shelter. And after a random yellow school bus passed, Kwasman told The Arizona Republic about the horror he'd witnessed.
"I was able to actually see some of the children in the buses, and the fear on their faces," he said. "This is not compassion."
Except the bus was not headed to the shelter, but rather to a YMCA summer camp. Told that the children were campers, not migrants, Kwasman responded: "They were sad too." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week