- Bad Ideas July 16
A Seattle man's plan to kill an unwelcome pest in his home went horribly, horribly wrong.
Local news outlet KOMO reported that a West Seattle resident used a lighter and can of spray paint in an attempt to kill a spider in his laundry room on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, his house erupted in flames, thanks to his failed attempt at extermination.
By the time firefighters arrived at the scene, the blaze had already caused extensive damage. Repairing the house will cost the man $40,000 — not including an additional $20,000 for the items inside. The Red Cross is currently securing temporary housing for the man and a woman who lived with him.
Kyle Moore, a public information officer for the Seattle Fire Department, told KOMO that the man continued to spray flames onto the wall as the spider scurried away, incurring more damage on the house as the flames reached the ceiling and eventually the attic.
On the plus side, however, there's one bright note to the story: "I'm pretty sure the spider did not survive this fire," Moore told KOMO.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week