- This just in July 16
The White House on Wednesday announced a new round of sanctions against several large banking, energy, and defense companies in Russia in response to Moscow's "attempts to destabilize eastern Ukraine and its ongoing occupation of Crimea."
The punished companies include Rosneft, a state-run oil company; Gazprombank, Russia's third-largest bank; and Vnesheconombank, a state-owned development bank. In addition, the Treasury Department announced sanctions on a number of arms manufacturers — including Kalashnikov Concern, the largest weapons producer in Russia and maker of the eponymous, infamous rifle.
The sanctions came in conjunction with lighter sanctions from European nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week