- to infinity and beyonce July 17
Established pop sensations dominated this year's nominations for the MTV Video Music Awards, with Beyonce earning eight nominations and Eminem earning seven. Only a few breakout artists were recognized, with newcomers Iggy Azalea and Sam Smith nominated in major categories. Beyonce's "Drunk in Love" will compete against Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX's "Fancy," Pharrell's "Happy," Sia's "Chandelier," and Miley's "Wrecking Ball" for the coveted top prize of Video of the Year. Other artists receiving multiple nominations include Jay Z, Ariana Grande, Lorde, Katy Perry, and Avicii.
The awards ceremony, which will stream live from the Forum in Inglewood, California on Sunday, August 24th at 9 p.m. EST., will feature performances from Ariana Grande, Usher, and 5 Seconds of Summer.- - Sabrina Imbler
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week