- to infinity and beyonce July 17
Established pop sensations dominated this year's nominations for the MTV Video Music Awards, with Beyonce earning eight nominations and Eminem earning seven. Only a few breakout artists were recognized, with newcomers Iggy Azalea and Sam Smith nominated in major categories. Beyonce's "Drunk in Love" will compete against Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX's "Fancy," Pharrell's "Happy," Sia's "Chandelier," and Miley's "Wrecking Ball" for the coveted top prize of Video of the Year. Other artists receiving multiple nominations include Jay Z, Ariana Grande, Lorde, Katy Perry, and Avicii.
The awards ceremony, which will stream live from the Forum in Inglewood, California on Sunday, August 24th at 9 p.m. EST., will feature performances from Ariana Grande, Usher, and 5 Seconds of Summer.- - Sabrina Imbler
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week