- to infinity and beyonce July 17
Established pop sensations dominated this year's nominations for the MTV Video Music Awards, with Beyonce earning eight nominations and Eminem earning seven. Only a few breakout artists were recognized, with newcomers Iggy Azalea and Sam Smith nominated in major categories. Beyonce's "Drunk in Love" will compete against Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX's "Fancy," Pharrell's "Happy," Sia's "Chandelier," and Miley's "Wrecking Ball" for the coveted top prize of Video of the Year. Other artists receiving multiple nominations include Jay Z, Ariana Grande, Lorde, Katy Perry, and Avicii.
The awards ceremony, which will stream live from the Forum in Inglewood, California on Sunday, August 24th at 9 p.m. EST., will feature performances from Ariana Grande, Usher, and 5 Seconds of Summer.- - Sabrina Imbler
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- 8 of our favorite ridiculously long German words
Subscribe to the Week