- Save this bear July 17
Noted animal enthusiast Newt Gingrich has joined the campaign to transfer a lonely polar bear from Argentina to Canada. The former House Speaker posted a short video to Facebook urging supporters to sign a petition on change.org asking that the bear, Arturo, be moved from the Mendoza Zoo to Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, Canada, "where a natural habitat and a better life is awaiting him."
"If you love animals the way I do, you're going to want to sign the petition to save the Argentinean polar bear, Arturo," Gingrich said. "This is very sad, and he should be saved."
Arturo, a 29-year-old bear, is the only polar bear left in Argentina. Proponents of transferring him north claim the heat is driving him insane and that he has been depressed since 2012, when his companion died.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
Subscribe to the Week