- Save this bear July 17
Noted animal enthusiast Newt Gingrich has joined the campaign to transfer a lonely polar bear from Argentina to Canada. The former House Speaker posted a short video to Facebook urging supporters to sign a petition on change.org asking that the bear, Arturo, be moved from the Mendoza Zoo to Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, Canada, "where a natural habitat and a better life is awaiting him."
"If you love animals the way I do, you're going to want to sign the petition to save the Argentinean polar bear, Arturo," Gingrich said. "This is very sad, and he should be saved."
Arturo, a 29-year-old bear, is the only polar bear left in Argentina. Proponents of transferring him north claim the heat is driving him insane and that he has been depressed since 2012, when his companion died.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week