- Save this bear July 17
Noted animal enthusiast Newt Gingrich has joined the campaign to transfer a lonely polar bear from Argentina to Canada. The former House Speaker posted a short video to Facebook urging supporters to sign a petition on change.org asking that the bear, Arturo, be moved from the Mendoza Zoo to Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, Canada, "where a natural habitat and a better life is awaiting him."
"If you love animals the way I do, you're going to want to sign the petition to save the Argentinean polar bear, Arturo," Gingrich said. "This is very sad, and he should be saved."
Arturo, a 29-year-old bear, is the only polar bear left in Argentina. Proponents of transferring him north claim the heat is driving him insane and that he has been depressed since 2012, when his companion died.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 secrets of the Vatican exposed
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- The warm glow of certainty
Subscribe to the Week