- Save this bear July 17
Noted animal enthusiast Newt Gingrich has joined the campaign to transfer a lonely polar bear from Argentina to Canada. The former House Speaker posted a short video to Facebook urging supporters to sign a petition on change.org asking that the bear, Arturo, be moved from the Mendoza Zoo to Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, Canada, "where a natural habitat and a better life is awaiting him."
"If you love animals the way I do, you're going to want to sign the petition to save the Argentinean polar bear, Arturo," Gingrich said. "This is very sad, and he should be saved."
Arturo, a 29-year-old bear, is the only polar bear left in Argentina. Proponents of transferring him north claim the heat is driving him insane and that he has been depressed since 2012, when his companion died.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week