- Save this bear July 17
Noted animal enthusiast Newt Gingrich has joined the campaign to transfer a lonely polar bear from Argentina to Canada. The former House Speaker posted a short video to Facebook urging supporters to sign a petition on change.org asking that the bear, Arturo, be moved from the Mendoza Zoo to Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, Canada, "where a natural habitat and a better life is awaiting him."
"If you love animals the way I do, you're going to want to sign the petition to save the Argentinean polar bear, Arturo," Gingrich said. "This is very sad, and he should be saved."
Arturo, a 29-year-old bear, is the only polar bear left in Argentina. Proponents of transferring him north claim the heat is driving him insane and that he has been depressed since 2012, when his companion died.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How I lost all my money
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week