- This just in July 17
The Israel Defense Forces' official Twitter account confirmed Thursday afternoon that it has launched a "large" force into a ground operation in Gaza.
"A new phase of Operation Protective Edge has begun," the tweet reads. IDF explained the announcement by saying that the so-called new phase "follows 10 days of Hamas attacks on Israel by land, air, and sea — and repeated rejections of offers to deescalate the situation."
"Our goal is to target Hamas' tunnels that enable terrorists to infiltrate Israel and carry out attacks," IDF says. "This requires precise operations."
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office issued a statement Thursday afternoon that the assault on Hamas' tunnels will be "limited."
"Israel is committed to act to protect its citizens," the statement said. "The operation will continue until its goals are reached: to bring quiet to the citizens of Israel for a long period of time, and to seriously harm Hamas and other terrorist organizations' infrastructure in the Gaza Strip."
Update: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Friday that Israel is prepared for "significant expansion" of the ground offensive into Gaza. --Meghan DeMaria
BREAKING NEWS: A large IDF force has just launched a ground operation in the Gaza Strip. A new phase of Operation Protective Edge has begun.— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) July 17, 2014
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week