- Women and Children *Last*? July 17
Israel's national Rabbinical Courts Administration has ordered the local religious court in Ashdod, a city less than 20 miles away from the border with the Gaza Strip, to remove signs designating its secure bomb shelter as being for men only.
The separate area designated for women was among the regular courtrooms, and did not appear to provide extra security or protection.
The national administration said that this example of gender separation was not actually implemented in practice, "nor will it be implemented when [it comes to] entering bomb shelters." The administration also said that the signs were put up by an employee who acted without the knowledge of management, The Times of Israel reports, and that disciplinary action will be taken against those responsible.
The issue was first brought to the administration's attention by a female member of the Israeli Knesset, Stav Shaffir of the Labor Party, after she was told about it by one of her office volunteers who had visited the building. The administration then acted quickly to order the sign to be taken down.
The separation of the sexes in Israel, as pushed for by its ultra-orthodox Jewish sector (commonly known as the Haredim) has become a divisive issue in the country's cultural and political life. Shaffir said of this story: "Discrimination against women is improper in all cases, but when it prevents them from protecting themselves, it is more than just improper, it's also dangerous."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week