- eerie July 18
A man believed to be a passenger on Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 made a joke on his Facebook page right before boarding, referencing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared in March.
Cor Pan (who also lists his surname as Schilder elsewhere online) of the Netherlands snapped a photo of the airplane while waiting inside the boarding area, with a caption that The Washington Post says translates to "Should it disappear, this is what it looks like." He was said to be traveling on the doomed plane with his partner, Neeltje Tol, but Malaysia Airlines has yet to confirm this, and friends did not respond to requests for information from the Post.
As of early Friday, his Facebook post has been shared almost 20,000 times.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week