- Flight 17 July 18
One of the passengers aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 posted an Instagram video of what is allegedly the doomed plane just minutes prior to its takeoff, The Huffington Post reports.
Md Ali Md Salim, a 30-year-old psychology student who was flying home for the holidays, posted the video to his personal Instagram account.
Salim posted the video with the caption "Bismillah... #hatiadasikitgentar," which loosely translates to "In the name of God... feeling a little bit nervous." His hashtag quickly spread across various social media outlets as users expressed their condolences for those lost on the downed plane, including Salim's brother, whom he had planned to visit on his trip.
In the video, which has since been uploaded to YouTube, a voice says: "At the moment, we are on the final stages of boarding and cargo loading. Once again, please ensure all your phones are off for the flight" before cutting off. The video shows passengers placing their luggage in overhead storage units and preparing for takeoff. You can watch Salim's clip below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week