- Flight 17 July 18
One of the passengers aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 posted an Instagram video of what is allegedly the doomed plane just minutes prior to its takeoff, The Huffington Post reports.
Md Ali Md Salim, a 30-year-old psychology student who was flying home for the holidays, posted the video to his personal Instagram account.
Salim posted the video with the caption "Bismillah... #hatiadasikitgentar," which loosely translates to "In the name of God... feeling a little bit nervous." His hashtag quickly spread across various social media outlets as users expressed their condolences for those lost on the downed plane, including Salim's brother, whom he had planned to visit on his trip.
In the video, which has since been uploaded to YouTube, a voice says: "At the moment, we are on the final stages of boarding and cargo loading. Once again, please ensure all your phones are off for the flight" before cutting off. The video shows passengers placing their luggage in overhead storage units and preparing for takeoff. You can watch Salim's clip below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week