- Flight 17 July 18
One of the passengers aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 posted an Instagram video of what is allegedly the doomed plane just minutes prior to its takeoff, The Huffington Post reports.
Md Ali Md Salim, a 30-year-old psychology student who was flying home for the holidays, posted the video to his personal Instagram account.
Salim posted the video with the caption "Bismillah... #hatiadasikitgentar," which loosely translates to "In the name of God... feeling a little bit nervous." His hashtag quickly spread across various social media outlets as users expressed their condolences for those lost on the downed plane, including Salim's brother, whom he had planned to visit on his trip.
In the video, which has since been uploaded to YouTube, a voice says: "At the moment, we are on the final stages of boarding and cargo loading. Once again, please ensure all your phones are off for the flight" before cutting off. The video shows passengers placing their luggage in overhead storage units and preparing for takeoff. You can watch Salim's clip below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- What the media gets wrong about Jeb Bush
Subscribe to the Week