- Flight 17 July 18
One of the passengers aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 posted an Instagram video of what is allegedly the doomed plane just minutes prior to its takeoff, The Huffington Post reports.
Md Ali Md Salim, a 30-year-old psychology student who was flying home for the holidays, posted the video to his personal Instagram account.
Salim posted the video with the caption "Bismillah... #hatiadasikitgentar," which loosely translates to "In the name of God... feeling a little bit nervous." His hashtag quickly spread across various social media outlets as users expressed their condolences for those lost on the downed plane, including Salim's brother, whom he had planned to visit on his trip.
In the video, which has since been uploaded to YouTube, a voice says: "At the moment, we are on the final stages of boarding and cargo loading. Once again, please ensure all your phones are off for the flight" before cutting off. The video shows passengers placing their luggage in overhead storage units and preparing for takeoff. You can watch Salim's clip below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why I got married — without a wedding
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why the Rubio-Lee tax plan is great politics — and great policy
- How to improve your workplace culture
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week