- Flight 17 July 18
One of the passengers aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 posted an Instagram video of what is allegedly the doomed plane just minutes prior to its takeoff, The Huffington Post reports.
Md Ali Md Salim, a 30-year-old psychology student who was flying home for the holidays, posted the video to his personal Instagram account.
Salim posted the video with the caption "Bismillah... #hatiadasikitgentar," which loosely translates to "In the name of God... feeling a little bit nervous." His hashtag quickly spread across various social media outlets as users expressed their condolences for those lost on the downed plane, including Salim's brother, whom he had planned to visit on his trip.
In the video, which has since been uploaded to YouTube, a voice says: "At the moment, we are on the final stages of boarding and cargo loading. Once again, please ensure all your phones are off for the flight" before cutting off. The video shows passengers placing their luggage in overhead storage units and preparing for takeoff. You can watch Salim's clip below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 4 possible scientific explanations for ghosts
Subscribe to the Week