- Flight 17 July 18
In a press conference at the White House, President Obama announced that at least one American citizen was killed when Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was downed near the Ukraine-Russia border on Thursday. He identified the citizen as Quinn Lucas Schansman.
Obama also confirmed reports that the plane had been brought down by a surface-to-air missile, and that the missile appeared to have been fired from an area controlled by Russian-backed separatists.
"This outrageous event underscores it's time for peace and security to be restored in Ukraine," Obama said. He called for an immediate cease-fire, and criticized Russia for failing to take steps to de-escalate the conflict there, saying, "We don't have time for propaganda. We don't have time for games."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week