- Flight 17 July 18
In a press conference at the White House, President Obama announced that at least one American citizen was killed when Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was downed near the Ukraine-Russia border on Thursday. He identified the citizen as Quinn Lucas Schansman.
Obama also confirmed reports that the plane had been brought down by a surface-to-air missile, and that the missile appeared to have been fired from an area controlled by Russian-backed separatists.
"This outrageous event underscores it's time for peace and security to be restored in Ukraine," Obama said. He called for an immediate cease-fire, and criticized Russia for failing to take steps to de-escalate the conflict there, saying, "We don't have time for propaganda. We don't have time for games."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The week's best photojournalism
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
Subscribe to the Week