- Flight 17 July 18
In a press conference at the White House, President Obama announced that at least one American citizen was killed when Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was downed near the Ukraine-Russia border on Thursday. He identified the citizen as Quinn Lucas Schansman.
Obama also confirmed reports that the plane had been brought down by a surface-to-air missile, and that the missile appeared to have been fired from an area controlled by Russian-backed separatists.
"This outrageous event underscores it's time for peace and security to be restored in Ukraine," Obama said. He called for an immediate cease-fire, and criticized Russia for failing to take steps to de-escalate the conflict there, saying, "We don't have time for propaganda. We don't have time for games."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
Subscribe to the Week