- Flight 17 July 18
In a press conference at the White House, President Obama announced that at least one American citizen was killed when Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was downed near the Ukraine-Russia border on Thursday. He identified the citizen as Quinn Lucas Schansman.
Obama also confirmed reports that the plane had been brought down by a surface-to-air missile, and that the missile appeared to have been fired from an area controlled by Russian-backed separatists.
"This outrageous event underscores it's time for peace and security to be restored in Ukraine," Obama said. He called for an immediate cease-fire, and criticized Russia for failing to take steps to de-escalate the conflict there, saying, "We don't have time for propaganda. We don't have time for games."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How I lost all my money
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- The best books we read in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week