- Flight 17 July 19
Ukraine's government released a statement this morning accusing Russian-backed insurgents of blocking access to and tampering with evidence at the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crash site, The New York Times reports.
Ukrainian officials had planned to take the bodies of the 298 victims to a laboratory in Kharkiv, but they say that 38 bodies have instead been taken by insurgents to a morgue in Donetsk, an area controlled by the country's rebel faction.
"At present, we have limited information and limited ability to obtain formal information," Andriy Lysenko, a spokesman for Ukraine's Defense and Security Council, said. "The people who are working from our side, they do not have the ability of free movement. They are under control of the terrorists. They are guarding the place. They are taking out all the evidence."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
Subscribe to the Week