- This just in July 19
The Minnesota Vikings announced on Friday evening that the team is suspending special teams coordinator Mike Priefer for making a homophobic comment to former punter Chris Kluwe, Sports Illustrated reports.
The team launched an independent investigation following allegations made by Kluwe in a first-person article for Deadspin. Kluwe said that the team discouraged his public support of marriage equality, and that the Vikings eventually released him because of his views. Kluwe took to Twitter in response to the team's report.
Never let it be said that I didn't try. Apparently the Vikings want to do this the hard way.— Chris Kluwe (@ChrisWarcraft) July 18, 2014
A page and a half. The NSA is wildly applauding the Vikings' definition of "open and transparent" right now.— Chris Kluwe (@ChrisWarcraft) July 19, 2014
The Vikings' investigation determined that Priefer made one homophobic comment, but the team said there was not "sufficient evidence" in regard to Kluwe's allegations that he was discouraged from voicing his opinions about marriage equality. And, the Vikings noted that Kluwe was released in May 2013 not because of his personal views but because of his "declining punt performance."
Priefer, who has been suspended for three games, apologized in a statement, and the Vikings have pledged $100,000 to LGBT rights organizations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
Subscribe to the Week