- Say what? July 20
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is apparently unfamiliar with Godwin's Law. Speaking on Saturday about Israel's incursion into Gaza and the rapidly mounting death toll of Palestinian civilians, the Turkish leader said flatly that the Israelis were worse than Adolf Hitler.
Israelis "have no conscience, no honor, no pride," he said. "They curse Hitler day and night, but they have surpassed Hitler in barbarism."
Erdogan previously accused Israel of carrying out a "genocide" on the Palestinian people, so this is not the first time he's blasted the regional neighbor. Israel's two-week-long military campaign has killed more than 400 Palestinians, about 75 percent of whom were civilians, according to the United Nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 9 ways you're probably teaching your kids bad money habits
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
Subscribe to the Week