- Say what? July 20
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is apparently unfamiliar with Godwin's Law. Speaking on Saturday about Israel's incursion into Gaza and the rapidly mounting death toll of Palestinian civilians, the Turkish leader said flatly that the Israelis were worse than Adolf Hitler.
Israelis "have no conscience, no honor, no pride," he said. "They curse Hitler day and night, but they have surpassed Hitler in barbarism."
Erdogan previously accused Israel of carrying out a "genocide" on the Palestinian people, so this is not the first time he's blasted the regional neighbor. Israel's two-week-long military campaign has killed more than 400 Palestinians, about 75 percent of whom were civilians, according to the United Nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How to be charismatic, according to science
- Why insects are the future of food
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
Subscribe to the Week