- Say what? July 20
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is apparently unfamiliar with Godwin's Law. Speaking on Saturday about Israel's incursion into Gaza and the rapidly mounting death toll of Palestinian civilians, the Turkish leader said flatly that the Israelis were worse than Adolf Hitler.
Israelis "have no conscience, no honor, no pride," he said. "They curse Hitler day and night, but they have surpassed Hitler in barbarism."
Erdogan previously accused Israel of carrying out a "genocide" on the Palestinian people, so this is not the first time he's blasted the regional neighbor. Israel's two-week-long military campaign has killed more than 400 Palestinians, about 75 percent of whom were civilians, according to the United Nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week