- Say what? July 20
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is apparently unfamiliar with Godwin's Law. Speaking on Saturday about Israel's incursion into Gaza and the rapidly mounting death toll of Palestinian civilians, the Turkish leader said flatly that the Israelis were worse than Adolf Hitler.
Israelis "have no conscience, no honor, no pride," he said. "They curse Hitler day and night, but they have surpassed Hitler in barbarism."
Erdogan previously accused Israel of carrying out a "genocide" on the Palestinian people, so this is not the first time he's blasted the regional neighbor. Israel's two-week-long military campaign has killed more than 400 Palestinians, about 75 percent of whom were civilians, according to the United Nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week