- Say what? July 20
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is apparently unfamiliar with Godwin's Law. Speaking on Saturday about Israel's incursion into Gaza and the rapidly mounting death toll of Palestinian civilians, the Turkish leader said flatly that the Israelis were worse than Adolf Hitler.
Israelis "have no conscience, no honor, no pride," he said. "They curse Hitler day and night, but they have surpassed Hitler in barbarism."
Erdogan previously accused Israel of carrying out a "genocide" on the Palestinian people, so this is not the first time he's blasted the regional neighbor. Israel's two-week-long military campaign has killed more than 400 Palestinians, about 75 percent of whom were civilians, according to the United Nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week