- Oops July 20
A frustrated Secretary of State John Kerry was caught Sunday on a live mic speaking candidly about the situation in Gaza. Kerry was in between interviews he was conducting for a media blitz when Fox News picked up his brief phone conversation with an aide.
"It's a hell of a pinpoint operation," Kerry said, seeming to criticize the Israeli government for the mounting civilian death toll. "We've got to get over there," he added. "We ought to go tonight. I think it's crazy to be sitting around."
Kerry's remarks came as he was about to appear on Fox News Sunday and so, once he was live on air, host Chris Wallace naturally asked him to explain what he deemed "an extraordinary moment of diplomacy." -- Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- The week's best photojournalism
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week