- Oops July 20
A frustrated Secretary of State John Kerry was caught Sunday on a live mic speaking candidly about the situation in Gaza. Kerry was in between interviews he was conducting for a media blitz when Fox News picked up his brief phone conversation with an aide.
"It's a hell of a pinpoint operation," Kerry said, seeming to criticize the Israeli government for the mounting civilian death toll. "We've got to get over there," he added. "We ought to go tonight. I think it's crazy to be sitting around."
Kerry's remarks came as he was about to appear on Fox News Sunday and so, once he was live on air, host Chris Wallace naturally asked him to explain what he deemed "an extraordinary moment of diplomacy." -- Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why we gossip, according to science
Subscribe to the Week