- Flight 17 July 20
Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) on Sunday tied Russian President Vladimir Putin directly to the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17.
"By supplying this type of weaponry to a group of thugs like Ukrainian separatists, you have to bear responsibility for what happens after that," King said. "There can be no reasonable doubt now that Russia was involved, Putin was involved," he added.
King's claim was a more forceful charge than the one made on the same program by Secretary of State John Kerry. Though Kerry said Russia shared a degree of culpability for arming the Ukrainian separatists who allegedly shot down the plane, he said only "some" Russian officials — not all, and not Putin himself — bore responsibility for that collaboration. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week