- Flight 17 July 20
Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) on Sunday tied Russian President Vladimir Putin directly to the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17.
"By supplying this type of weaponry to a group of thugs like Ukrainian separatists, you have to bear responsibility for what happens after that," King said. "There can be no reasonable doubt now that Russia was involved, Putin was involved," he added.
King's claim was a more forceful charge than the one made on the same program by Secretary of State John Kerry. Though Kerry said Russia shared a degree of culpability for arming the Ukrainian separatists who allegedly shot down the plane, he said only "some" Russian officials — not all, and not Putin himself — bore responsibility for that collaboration. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week