- Show me the money July 20
Rory McIlroy won the British Open on Sunday and, in doing so, helped his dad cash in on a prescient decade-old bet.
McIlroy's dad, Gerry, and three of his friends each bet 100 British pounds 10 years ago that the golf prodigy would win the Open before turning 26. At 500-1 odds, the bet would pay out $340,000 should the bold prediction come true. And indeed, the 25-year-old McIlroy held on to claim the victory Sunday, making him the third player ever to win three majors by that age — and making his dad a decent chunk of change to boot.
Not bad for a day at the links.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Girls on Film: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay isn't an action movie. It's a war movie.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
Subscribe to the Week