- Show me the money July 20
Rory McIlroy won the British Open on Sunday and, in doing so, helped his dad cash in on a prescient decade-old bet.
McIlroy's dad, Gerry, and three of his friends each bet 100 British pounds 10 years ago that the golf prodigy would win the Open before turning 26. At 500-1 odds, the bet would pay out $340,000 should the bold prediction come true. And indeed, the 25-year-old McIlroy held on to claim the victory Sunday, making him the third player ever to win three majors by that age — and making his dad a decent chunk of change to boot.
Not bad for a day at the links.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to deep fry a turkey
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week