- Show me the money July 20
Rory McIlroy won the British Open on Sunday and, in doing so, helped his dad cash in on a prescient decade-old bet.
McIlroy's dad, Gerry, and three of his friends each bet 100 British pounds 10 years ago that the golf prodigy would win the Open before turning 26. At 500-1 odds, the bet would pay out $340,000 should the bold prediction come true. And indeed, the 25-year-old McIlroy held on to claim the victory Sunday, making him the third player ever to win three majors by that age — and making his dad a decent chunk of change to boot.
Not bad for a day at the links.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week