- Show me the money July 20
Rory McIlroy won the British Open on Sunday and, in doing so, helped his dad cash in on a prescient decade-old bet.
McIlroy's dad, Gerry, and three of his friends each bet 100 British pounds 10 years ago that the golf prodigy would win the Open before turning 26. At 500-1 odds, the bet would pay out $340,000 should the bold prediction come true. And indeed, the 25-year-old McIlroy held on to claim the victory Sunday, making him the third player ever to win three majors by that age — and making his dad a decent chunk of change to boot.
Not bad for a day at the links.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Rise of the machines
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week