- RIP July 20
Actress Skye McCole Bartusiak, best known for playing Mel Gibson's youngest daughter in The Patriot, died Saturday in Houston. She was 21.
Her cause of death has not yet been determined, but Bartusiak’s mother, Helen McCole Bartusiak, told CNN her daughter had recently suffered from several epileptic seizures.
In addition to 2000's The Patriot, Bartusiak also appeared in the movies The Cider House Rules and Don't Say a Word, with her last role in 2012's Sick Boy, a low-budget thriller. According to her mother, Bartusiak was getting ready to produce and direct her first feature film. "She was a kind and really beautiful girl," Helen McCole Bartusiak told CNN. "The girl has lived such an amazing life."- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- The best books we read in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week