- heroics July 20
A pit bull in Indianapolis saved the life of his deaf owner by licking his face over and over until he woke up and discovered the house was on fire.
Ace, a two-year-old male, raced into Nick Lamb's room on Wednesday afternoon to alert the sleeping 13-year-old to the fire. "I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off," Nick told the Indy Star. "My dog Ace smelled it. I just wanted to get out."
Nick covered his nose and mouth with his shirt, and ran with Ace outside to safety. He called his mother and 911, and once firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out of the garage. The house had $175,000 worth of damage, but Nick, Ace, and a cat, Pixie, are all fine. According to a press release from the Indianapolis Fire Department, the homeowners believe the fire was caused by electrical problems and started in the garage.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week