- heroics July 20
A pit bull in Indianapolis saved the life of his deaf owner by licking his face over and over until he woke up and discovered the house was on fire.
Ace, a two-year-old male, raced into Nick Lamb's room on Wednesday afternoon to alert the sleeping 13-year-old to the fire. "I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off," Nick told the Indy Star. "My dog Ace smelled it. I just wanted to get out."
Nick covered his nose and mouth with his shirt, and ran with Ace outside to safety. He called his mother and 911, and once firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out of the garage. The house had $175,000 worth of damage, but Nick, Ace, and a cat, Pixie, are all fine. According to a press release from the Indianapolis Fire Department, the homeowners believe the fire was caused by electrical problems and started in the garage.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Girls on Film: 5 essential World War II movies directed by women
Subscribe to the Week