- heroics July 20
A pit bull in Indianapolis saved the life of his deaf owner by licking his face over and over until he woke up and discovered the house was on fire.
Ace, a two-year-old male, raced into Nick Lamb's room on Wednesday afternoon to alert the sleeping 13-year-old to the fire. "I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off," Nick told the Indy Star. "My dog Ace smelled it. I just wanted to get out."
Nick covered his nose and mouth with his shirt, and ran with Ace outside to safety. He called his mother and 911, and once firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out of the garage. The house had $175,000 worth of damage, but Nick, Ace, and a cat, Pixie, are all fine. According to a press release from the Indianapolis Fire Department, the homeowners believe the fire was caused by electrical problems and started in the garage.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- In defense of family dinner
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week