- Watch this July 21
On Sunday's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, the host dedicated a segment to discussing the prison system in the United States, which he believes is "fundamentally broken." Oliver noted that so many people are incarcerated it has become something Sesame Street has to explain to kids. "Think about that, we now need adorable singing puppets to explain prison to children in the same way they explain the number seven and what the moon is," he said.
Oliver touched on everything from maggot-infested food being served to inmates to the way cost-cutting compromises health care; in one clip, a former prisoner from Arizona shared that after having a C-section in jail, doctors poured sugar into her incision and covered it with gauze, a remedy that was used in the early 1900s, pre-antibiotics. It's hard to take all of the statistics in, but luckily Oliver had some special fuzzy guests on hand to help us make sense of things. Watch the entire video below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
Subscribe to the Week