- our selfies, ourselves July 21
An Illinois woman chose the worst possible time to take a selfie.
Danielle Saxton, 27, was arrested for retail theft at a southern Illinois boutique earlier this month, the Associated Press reports. After the arrest, Saxton posted Facebook photos of herself — wearing a stolen dress.
Kert Williams, co-owner of Mortie's Boutique, from which the dress as well as jewelry were stolen, posted about the missing items on Facebook, and others who saw Saxton's photo reported it to the police.
According to Williams, this isn't the first incident of social media helping his store stop theft. "We've had an instance before where we caught the people, you know, posting on Facebook," Williams told local news channel WSIL-TV. "It's a way of shame."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week