- In a studio far, far away July 21
J.J. Abrams certainly knows how to draw attention to a charity. In May, he introduced an ongoing drive for UNICEF by revealing a brand-new alien that will appear in Star Wars: Episode VII. And this week, as the charity drive comes to an end, he's revealed something even better: one of the new Star Wars sequel's X-Wing spaceships.
In the new video, Abrams explains that anyone who donates to UNICEF through the Omaze page for Star Wars: Episode VII will earn a chance to visit the set. They'll also be eligible for a separate drawing, which will see one lucky fan receive an early Star Wars: Episode VII screening in their hometown.
But regardless of whether or not you win anything, all Star Wars fans who watch the video will get to enjoy the official introduction of one of Episode VII's battle-weathered X-Wings, complete with a suited-up pilot (and a droid who's clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time). Check it out below. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- How I lost all my money
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week