- In a studio far, far away July 21
J.J. Abrams certainly knows how to draw attention to a charity. In May, he introduced an ongoing drive for UNICEF by revealing a brand-new alien that will appear in Star Wars: Episode VII. And this week, as the charity drive comes to an end, he's revealed something even better: one of the new Star Wars sequel's X-Wing spaceships.
In the new video, Abrams explains that anyone who donates to UNICEF through the Omaze page for Star Wars: Episode VII will earn a chance to visit the set. They'll also be eligible for a separate drawing, which will see one lucky fan receive an early Star Wars: Episode VII screening in their hometown.
But regardless of whether or not you win anything, all Star Wars fans who watch the video will get to enjoy the official introduction of one of Episode VII's battle-weathered X-Wings, complete with a suited-up pilot (and a droid who's clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time). Check it out below. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week