- Quotables July 21
Self-described God Kanye West has a new, more humble metaphor for himself, saying in an interview with GQ that he's like a porcupine, or maybe a blowfish. Explaining his outrage that paparazzi hound his every move, West says that he does not seek to pick fights but has to push back when cornered.
"I don't have fangs," he says. "I'm a porcupine. I'm a blowfish. Like, I'm a — what's the fish that blows up?"
After being told the fish that blows up is the aforementioned blowfish, West continues:
So that perfect example about me hitting my head [while ducking to flee the media], it's like a blowfish. I wasn't coming out of my house going to a paparazzi's house to attack them. I'm defending my family in front of my own house. I'm defending my name as someone's screaming something negative at me. That's a blowfish. People have me pinned as a shark or a predator in some way, and in no way am I that. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone. I want to defend people. I want to help people. [GQ]
So there you have it: Kanye West is — in addition to being a rapper, producer, and clothing designer — a blowfish. Given West's tendency to effusively laud himself ad nauseam, the comparison to a windbag seems apt.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why insects are the future of food
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 9 negative effects divorce reportedly has on children
- How legalizing pot could save America's economy
Subscribe to the Week