- In a studio far, far away July 21
Though the occasional image has leaked from the set, Disney has done a remarkable job keeping details about Star Wars: Episode VII under wraps. But if a new report from Badass Digest is accurate, the basic storyline of the upcoming sequel has finally leaked — and fans of the original Star Wars are likely to experience a little déjà vu.
According to reporter Devin Faraci, the movie begins when a severed hand gripping a lightsaber falls onto a desert planet. The heroes, played by Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, discover it and bring it to Han Solo and Chewbacca, who recognize it as Luke Skywalker's old lightsaber. Unfortunately, Luke has been missing since the events of Return of the Jedi 30 years earlier. And while our heroes attempt to track him down, "nefarious forces" are developing a weapon even more threatening than the Death Star — one that could destroy an entire solar system.
In a follow-up post, Faraci addressed those who were skeptical about his scoop. "A lot of people have found my initial report hard to believe. Me too!" he wrote. "That's why I got multiple sources to confirm it before I ran anything. Could they be wrong/spreading disinformation? Anything's possible, but both of these sources have proven to be absolutely impeccable in the past."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- This week I learned the meteor that doomed the dinos gave us seasonal trees, and more
Subscribe to the Week