- In a studio far, far away July 21
Though the occasional image has leaked from the set, Disney has done a remarkable job keeping details about Star Wars: Episode VII under wraps. But if a new report from Badass Digest is accurate, the basic storyline of the upcoming sequel has finally leaked — and fans of the original Star Wars are likely to experience a little déjà vu.
According to reporter Devin Faraci, the movie begins when a severed hand gripping a lightsaber falls onto a desert planet. The heroes, played by Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, discover it and bring it to Han Solo and Chewbacca, who recognize it as Luke Skywalker's old lightsaber. Unfortunately, Luke has been missing since the events of Return of the Jedi 30 years earlier. And while our heroes attempt to track him down, "nefarious forces" are developing a weapon even more threatening than the Death Star — one that could destroy an entire solar system.
In a follow-up post, Faraci addressed those who were skeptical about his scoop. "A lot of people have found my initial report hard to believe. Me too!" he wrote. "That's why I got multiple sources to confirm it before I ran anything. Could they be wrong/spreading disinformation? Anything's possible, but both of these sources have proven to be absolutely impeccable in the past."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The week's best photojournalism
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week