- This just in July 21
On Monday, President Obama signed an executive non-discrimination order to protect the LBGT community. The order will prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity among federal contractors.
Obama has frequently acted in favor of gay rights, repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and repeatedly targeting LGBT job discrimination. While his executive order won't help as many workers as would federal legislation, his order could help as many as 20 percent of American workers.
You can watch Obama signing the new order, via Politico, below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The mechanized future of warfare
Subscribe to the Week