- This just in July 21
On Monday, President Obama signed an executive non-discrimination order to protect the LBGT community. The order will prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity among federal contractors.
Obama has frequently acted in favor of gay rights, repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and repeatedly targeting LGBT job discrimination. While his executive order won't help as many workers as would federal legislation, his order could help as many as 20 percent of American workers.
You can watch Obama signing the new order, via Politico, below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The impossible promise at the heart of Scotland's campaign for independence
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Puppies take the plunge
Subscribe to the Week