- This just in July 21
On Monday, President Obama signed an executive non-discrimination order to protect the LBGT community. The order will prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity among federal contractors.
Obama has frequently acted in favor of gay rights, repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and repeatedly targeting LGBT job discrimination. While his executive order won't help as many workers as would federal legislation, his order could help as many as 20 percent of American workers.
You can watch Obama signing the new order, via Politico, below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
Subscribe to the Week