- This just in July 21
On Monday, President Obama signed an executive non-discrimination order to protect the LBGT community. The order will prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity among federal contractors.
Obama has frequently acted in favor of gay rights, repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and repeatedly targeting LGBT job discrimination. While his executive order won't help as many workers as would federal legislation, his order could help as many as 20 percent of American workers.
You can watch Obama signing the new order, via Politico, below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Guy Fawkes mask
Subscribe to the Week