- No to the Nuge July 22
Ted Nugent's notoriety for offensive trash-talk has just cost the longtime rocker a gig with a Native American clientele. The Coeur d'Alene Casino in Worley, Idaho, announced Monday that that they are canceling a scheduled concert for Aug. 4 — citing what they called Nugent's "racist attitudes and views."
The Coeur d'Alene Tribe released an official statement from casino marketing director Laura Stensgar, alluding to a backlash among the tribal community:
We adamantly do not want our casino to be used as a venue for the racist attitudes and views that Ted Nugent espouses. Unfortunately, when we booked him, we were looking at him from an entertainment perspective, as an '80s rock 'n' roller who we thought folks might enjoy. We take the comments and concerns of our community very seriously and we apologize to anyone who was offended by the idea that we would promote these kinds of attitudes. We will do our best to avoid such mistakes moving forward. [Sensgar, Coeur d'Alene Tribe]
Nugent has made a variety of incendiary comments for many years about women, various minority groups, and liberals. In January, he publicly referred to President Obama as a "subhuman mongrel." After a number of prominent conservative politicians distanced themselves from Nugent's remark, he gave a mea culpa of sorts, saying that he apologized "for using the street-fighter terminology of 'subhuman mongrel' instead of just using more understandable language, such as 'violator of his oath to the Constitution.'"- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week