- No to the Nuge July 22
Ted Nugent's notoriety for offensive trash-talk has just cost the longtime rocker a gig with a Native American clientele. The Coeur d'Alene Casino in Worley, Idaho, announced Monday that that they are canceling a scheduled concert for Aug. 4 — citing what they called Nugent's "racist attitudes and views."
The Coeur d'Alene Tribe released an official statement from casino marketing director Laura Stensgar, alluding to a backlash among the tribal community:
We adamantly do not want our casino to be used as a venue for the racist attitudes and views that Ted Nugent espouses. Unfortunately, when we booked him, we were looking at him from an entertainment perspective, as an '80s rock 'n' roller who we thought folks might enjoy. We take the comments and concerns of our community very seriously and we apologize to anyone who was offended by the idea that we would promote these kinds of attitudes. We will do our best to avoid such mistakes moving forward. [Sensgar, Coeur d'Alene Tribe]
Nugent has made a variety of incendiary comments for many years about women, various minority groups, and liberals. In January, he publicly referred to President Obama as a "subhuman mongrel." After a number of prominent conservative politicians distanced themselves from Nugent's remark, he gave a mea culpa of sorts, saying that he apologized "for using the street-fighter terminology of 'subhuman mongrel' instead of just using more understandable language, such as 'violator of his oath to the Constitution.'"- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
Subscribe to the Week