- they think of everything July 22
When it comes to dealing with a person's online identity after they die, things are still murky — there's no right answer about turning Facebook pages into memorials or outright deleting a Twitter account. Yahoo Japan is hoping to make things more clear with its new offering, Yahoo Ending.
The service will deactivate accounts upon death, and can delete documents, videos, and photos from online storage accounts. If the person used Yahoo Wallet for subscriptions, those can also be canceled. "Yahoo Japan's job has been to solve social problems through the power of the internet and to provide services from the cradle to grave," spokeswoman Megumi Nakashima told The Washington Post. "We had services for the cradle part but not the grave part."
When a person signs up for Yahoo Ending, they receive a unique number and instructions to give that number to someone they trust, who will call Yahoo Japan upon their death. Once a cremation permit is sent over to Yahoo from a funeral home, Yahoo will send out an email written by the dead person to as many as 200 email contacts, quickly spreading the word of the person's passing. Yahoo Ending also plans funerals and can find graves. A basic package starts at $4,500, and includes the funeral, cremation, embalming, and a wake for 30 people (more are extra).
The service starts at $1.80 a month, but knowing that your online identity will be taken care of properly after death might be priceless.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hillary Clinton needs to win big in 2016. Here's how she can do it.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How neuroscience can help us understand political partisanship
- 10 things you need to know today: November 20, 2014
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- Why are newspaper comics so terrible?
Subscribe to the Week