- Really? July 22
Black and white are the new orange at Michigan's Saginaw County Jail.
Reuters reports that the town's sheriff reverted to black-and-white striped jumpsuits for the jail's prisoners after Netflix's Orange is the New Black made orange clothing more popular.
"It's because as you see shows on television, like Orange is the New Black, some people think it's cool to look like an inmate of the Saginaw County Jail with wearing all-orange jumpsuits out at the mall or in public," Federspiel told Michigan's MLive. "We decided that the black-and-white stripes would be the best way to go because it signifies 'jail inmate,' and I don't see people out there wanting to wear black-and-white stripes."
Federspiel says the jail's wardrobe change will go into effect by the end of the year, though some inmates have already complained about the new outfits.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week