- Really? July 22
Black and white are the new orange at Michigan's Saginaw County Jail.
Reuters reports that the town's sheriff reverted to black-and-white striped jumpsuits for the jail's prisoners after Netflix's Orange is the New Black made orange clothing more popular.
"It's because as you see shows on television, like Orange is the New Black, some people think it's cool to look like an inmate of the Saginaw County Jail with wearing all-orange jumpsuits out at the mall or in public," Federspiel told Michigan's MLive. "We decided that the black-and-white stripes would be the best way to go because it signifies 'jail inmate,' and I don't see people out there wanting to wear black-and-white stripes."
Federspiel says the jail's wardrobe change will go into effect by the end of the year, though some inmates have already complained about the new outfits.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Is kissing your kid on the lips creepy?
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
Subscribe to the Week