- Really? July 22
Black and white are the new orange at Michigan's Saginaw County Jail.
Reuters reports that the town's sheriff reverted to black-and-white striped jumpsuits for the jail's prisoners after Netflix's Orange is the New Black made orange clothing more popular.
"It's because as you see shows on television, like Orange is the New Black, some people think it's cool to look like an inmate of the Saginaw County Jail with wearing all-orange jumpsuits out at the mall or in public," Federspiel told Michigan's MLive. "We decided that the black-and-white stripes would be the best way to go because it signifies 'jail inmate,' and I don't see people out there wanting to wear black-and-white stripes."
Federspiel says the jail's wardrobe change will go into effect by the end of the year, though some inmates have already complained about the new outfits.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week