- Really? July 22
Black and white are the new orange at Michigan's Saginaw County Jail.
Reuters reports that the town's sheriff reverted to black-and-white striped jumpsuits for the jail's prisoners after Netflix's Orange is the New Black made orange clothing more popular.
"It's because as you see shows on television, like Orange is the New Black, some people think it's cool to look like an inmate of the Saginaw County Jail with wearing all-orange jumpsuits out at the mall or in public," Federspiel told Michigan's MLive. "We decided that the black-and-white stripes would be the best way to go because it signifies 'jail inmate,' and I don't see people out there wanting to wear black-and-white stripes."
Federspiel says the jail's wardrobe change will go into effect by the end of the year, though some inmates have already complained about the new outfits.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week