- Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do July 22
"It is estimated most human beings only use 10 percent of their brains' capacity," says Hollywood's favorite voice of authority Morgan Freeman — during a college lecture — in the trailer for the upcoming action thriller Lucy. "Imagine if we could access 100 percent. Interesting things begin to happen."
Lucy is playing on a widely-reported piece of folk wisdom: that human beings use only 10 percent of their brains, and that unlocking the other 90 percent will give us an array of staggering mental powers. It's a "fact" that has been widely quoted for more than a century — and it is utterly, empirically false.
65 percent of Americans believe the "10 percent of the brain" myth. Nearly 50 percent of science teachers believe it. So now, once and for all: despite Hollywood's persistent obsession with the concept, there is absolutely no truth to the idea that we only use 10 percent of our brains. Don't believe me? Watch the video below, which explains how normally functioning humans use 100 percent of our brains — and why that makes use so special. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week