- This just in July 22
UPDATE: The Federal Aviation Administration has issued a statement banning U.S. airlines from flying to or from Tel Aviv for up to 24 hours, beginning Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. EST. The agency said the move was a response to a rocket strike Tuesday morning, which landed approximately one mile from Ben Gurion International Airport.
BREAKING: The FAA just issued a notice prohibiting U.S. airlines from flying to or from Ben Gurion Airport in Israel for up to 24 hours— Mark Berman (@themarkberman) July 22, 2014
Citing security concerns around Ben Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv, several airlines have altered or suspended their service to Israel.
Delta Air Lines announced on its website Tuesday that is has suspended its service to Israel "until further notice" following reports of "a rocket or associated debris" near Ben Gurion International Airport. The airline also made the announcement on two of its Twitter accounts.
Meanwhile, American Airlines responded to a passenger's question on Twitter regarding flights to Israel, announcing that it canceled both its flight to Tel Aviv from Philadelphia and the reverse flight "in response to security concerns at TLV." It also posted an official "Israel Travel Policy" on its website, allowing passengers with ticketed flights to Tel Aviv through the end of July to adjust their flights until the end of August. (US Airways, which has merged with American Airlines, made a similar announcement on its still-separate Twitter page.)
United Airlines canceled its two flights between Tel Aviv and Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, as well.
After last week's tragic Flight 17 disaster in Ukraine, it isn't terribly surprising that airlines are taking extra precautions with flying near conflict-ridden zones.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
Subscribe to the Week