- Your daily cry July 22
Do you live in New York? Are you a millionaire?
You're in good company, as a new study released today found that more than one in every 25 New Yorkers is worth at least $1 million. Consulting firm WealthInsight, in conjunction with Spear's magazine, took on the Herculean task of ranking the world's top 20 global cities based on portion of population exceeding $1 million in net worth.
New York is the top U.S. city to make the list with 4.63 percent of its population, or 389,100 people, worth at least $1 million — the other two are Houston (No. 18) and San Francisco (No. 19). Analysts at WealthInsight credited the rankings in large part to banking and financial centers, which were overly represented in the top cities (Monaco, Zurich, and Geneva claimed the first three spots, respectively).
Check out the full list via Spear's — then consider copying my plan of grabbing a lotto ticket on the way home.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week