- Your daily cry July 22
Do you live in New York? Are you a millionaire?
You're in good company, as a new study released today found that more than one in every 25 New Yorkers is worth at least $1 million. Consulting firm WealthInsight, in conjunction with Spear's magazine, took on the Herculean task of ranking the world's top 20 global cities based on portion of population exceeding $1 million in net worth.
New York is the top U.S. city to make the list with 4.63 percent of its population, or 389,100 people, worth at least $1 million — the other two are Houston (No. 18) and San Francisco (No. 19). Analysts at WealthInsight credited the rankings in large part to banking and financial centers, which were overly represented in the top cities (Monaco, Zurich, and Geneva claimed the first three spots, respectively).
Check out the full list via Spear's — then consider copying my plan of grabbing a lotto ticket on the way home.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How ISIS sells women and children
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
Subscribe to the Week