- Late Night Antics July 23
If you were ever wondering about Ricky Gervais' personal life, David Letterman has you covered. On The Late Show, the British comedian cracked up when Letterman asked him if he ever married "that woman," meaning (we soon find out) his girlfriend of about 30 years. Letterman, who has one son, then asked if Gervais ever planned on marrying his girlfriend (no) and if they'll ever have kids. "I've got a cat," Gervais starts, before laying out his views on children and parenting: "Kids are sponges — they don't give you anything back."
Gervais is apparently talking about money, and he urges Letterman (whom he calls Ken, maybe?) to travel with him to Mexico and just throw money out from their cars. That's not a bad idea, but what does it have to do with child-rearing? It's not like you can't refuse to leave your high-dollar entertainer's fortune to your children (see: Hoffman, Seymour Hoffman). Watch Gervais' (anti-)parenting advice below. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week