- Israel and Palestine July 23
Secretary of State John Kerry made a surprise visit to Israel on Wednesday to push for a ceasefire in Gaza. He flew into the country's main airport in Tel Aviv a day after the FAA suspended U.S. flights to Israel due to the threat of rocket fire from Gaza. He will meet with U.N. Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to try to hash out an agreement. To date, the fighting between Israel and Hamas, the Islamist Palestinian faction that runs Gaza, has killed at least 31 Israelis and 650 Palestinians. Read more about Kerry's visit at The New York Times.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week