- Israel and Palestine July 23
Secretary of State John Kerry made a surprise visit to Israel on Wednesday to push for a ceasefire in Gaza. He flew into the country's main airport in Tel Aviv a day after the FAA suspended U.S. flights to Israel due to the threat of rocket fire from Gaza. He will meet with U.N. Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to try to hash out an agreement. To date, the fighting between Israel and Hamas, the Islamist Palestinian faction that runs Gaza, has killed at least 31 Israelis and 650 Palestinians. Read more about Kerry's visit at The New York Times.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Rise of the machines
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Pope Francis' Machiavellian strategy to liberalize the Catholic Church
- The man who wasn't there: Obama and the 2014 midterms
Subscribe to the Week