- This just in July 23
Two of Ukraine's military fighter jets were shot down in east Ukraine, according to the Ukrainian Defense Ministry.
The Associated Press reports that two Sukhoi-25 fighter jets were shot down at 1:30 p.m. local time on Wednesday. The shooting happened above the Savur Mogila area, a part of the Shaktersky region near the Russian border.
Oleksiy Dmitrashovsky, a Defense Ministry spokesperson, told the AP that each plane may have carried up to two crew members. The AP has not yet announced whether the crew members have survived.
The announcement comes as U.K. investigators begin analysis of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17's black boxes. The fighter jets were shot down less than a week after that flight, a passenger jet, was shot down in the same region.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- Stop hating on cyclists
Subscribe to the Week