- This just in July 23
Two of Ukraine's military fighter jets were shot down in east Ukraine, according to the Ukrainian Defense Ministry.
The Associated Press reports that two Sukhoi-25 fighter jets were shot down at 1:30 p.m. local time on Wednesday. The shooting happened above the Savur Mogila area, a part of the Shaktersky region near the Russian border.
Oleksiy Dmitrashovsky, a Defense Ministry spokesperson, told the AP that each plane may have carried up to two crew members. The AP has not yet announced whether the crew members have survived.
The announcement comes as U.K. investigators begin analysis of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17's black boxes. The fighter jets were shot down less than a week after that flight, a passenger jet, was shot down in the same region.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to make corn dogs
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week