- This just in July 23
A TransAsia Airways plane crashed Wednesday after a botched emergency landing on Taiwan's Pengu Islands, according to Taiwan's central news agency. The crash killed at least 47 and left 11 others injured, according to Taiwan's Transportation Minister Yeh Kuang-shih.
Typhoon Matmo slammed Taiwan Tuesday night, bringing winds of up to 100 miles-per-hour and dumping around a foot of rain in some parts. The severe weather is believed to have contributed to the crash. --Jon Terbush
Unbelievably, this was the radar near the time of the crash of this plane in Taiwan. pic.twitter.com/Lr2xFM5OBF— Anthony Sagliani (@anthonywx) July 23, 2014
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Germany has a serious wolf problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 29, 2014
- Enjoying your cheap gas? Thank fracking — and the beauty of free markets!
- How Sonia Sotomayor became the Supreme Court's preeminent defender of civil liberties
- 7 things that will make you healthier and help you live longer, according to science
- Want to cut down on police brutality? Make police pay for their own misbehavior.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we can't educate racism away
- There's a raging Islamic insurgency in Thailand's strangest party town
Subscribe to the Week