- This just in July 23
A TransAsia Airways plane crashed Wednesday after a botched emergency landing on Taiwan's Pengu Islands, according to Taiwan's central news agency. The crash killed at least 47 and left 11 others injured, according to Taiwan's Transportation Minister Yeh Kuang-shih.
Typhoon Matmo slammed Taiwan Tuesday night, bringing winds of up to 100 miles-per-hour and dumping around a foot of rain in some parts. The severe weather is believed to have contributed to the crash. --Jon Terbush
Unbelievably, this was the radar near the time of the crash of this plane in Taiwan. pic.twitter.com/Lr2xFM5OBF— Anthony Sagliani (@anthonywx) July 23, 2014
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week