- Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man July 23
The massive success of Marvel's Avengers franchise has left pretty much every other Hollywood studio scrambling to establish its own sprawling, interconnected cinematic universe. But Sony's grand scheme to blow The Amazing Spider-Man into a comparable franchise might have been a little too ambitious; the direct sequel to this summer's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has been delayed a full two years.
Instead, Sinister Six — a spin-off centered on a series of Spider-Man baddies — will hit theaters on November 11, 2016. The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which was originally slated for a June 2016 release, has been pushed back all the way to 2018. We can probably assume that The Amazing Spider-Man 4, which had originally been slated for a May 2018 release, will also be bumped accordingly.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How quantum computing could change everything
Subscribe to the Week