- Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man July 23
The massive success of Marvel's Avengers franchise has left pretty much every other Hollywood studio scrambling to establish its own sprawling, interconnected cinematic universe. But Sony's grand scheme to blow The Amazing Spider-Man into a comparable franchise might have been a little too ambitious; the direct sequel to this summer's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has been delayed a full two years.
Instead, Sinister Six — a spin-off centered on a series of Spider-Man baddies — will hit theaters on November 11, 2016. The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which was originally slated for a June 2016 release, has been pushed back all the way to 2018. We can probably assume that The Amazing Spider-Man 4, which had originally been slated for a May 2018 release, will also be bumped accordingly.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why are there so few female mass murderers?
Subscribe to the Week