- Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man July 23
The massive success of Marvel's Avengers franchise has left pretty much every other Hollywood studio scrambling to establish its own sprawling, interconnected cinematic universe. But Sony's grand scheme to blow The Amazing Spider-Man into a comparable franchise might have been a little too ambitious; the direct sequel to this summer's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has been delayed a full two years.
Instead, Sinister Six — a spin-off centered on a series of Spider-Man baddies — will hit theaters on November 11, 2016. The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which was originally slated for a June 2016 release, has been pushed back all the way to 2018. We can probably assume that The Amazing Spider-Man 4, which had originally been slated for a May 2018 release, will also be bumped accordingly.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
Subscribe to the Week