- the view from above July 23
More than 200 miles above Earth, German astronaut Alexander Gerst was able to capture on camera rocket fire and explosions in Israel and Gaza. Gerst snapped the pictures Wednesday night from the International Space Station, and Tweeted in both English and German that it was his "saddest photo yet." --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A linguist's guide to HULK SMASH
Subscribe to the Week