- the view from above July 23
More than 200 miles above Earth, German astronaut Alexander Gerst was able to capture on camera rocket fire and explosions in Israel and Gaza. Gerst snapped the pictures Wednesday night from the International Space Station, and Tweeted in both English and German that it was his "saddest photo yet." --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why America needs more billionaires
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week