- Coming Soon July 24
The long-awaited first trailer for the big-screen adaptation of 50 Shades of Grey doesn't exactly shy away from the novel's legendary steaminess. "I exercise control in all things, Miss Steele" says Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) after meeting the shy young protagonist, Anastasia (Dakota Johnson). "I don't do romance. My tastes are very singular. You wouldn't understand." When Anastasia asks him to enlighten her, we get a brief glimpse of his proclivities: ropes, riding crops, and makeshift eye masks.
This trailer gets a major assist from a new slow-burn version of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" — but can the full movie sustain the level of heat its fans are eagerly expecting? We'll see if the 50 Shades of Grey movie has faithfully translated the book in all its X-rated glory when it arrives on Valentine's Day next year. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week