- Watch this July 24
In a spot-on Funny or Die parody of Disney's Mary Poppins, Kristen Bell musically makes the case for raising the federal minimum wage.
In the sketch, Bell informs the Banks children, to their great dismay, that she is quitting her job as their nanny because she is "grossly underpaid." And since Mary Poppins is a musical, she then quickly launches into a song — to the tune of "A Spoonful of Sugar" — in which she explains her argument.
While the video is worth watching for Bell's performance alone (if you weren't already aware of Bell's massive pipes and awesome voice work for Frozen, this should do the trick), it also presents a convincing case for raising the minimum wage. After all, "in every job that must be done, you must be paid in more than fun."
Watch the Funny or Die video below — and yes, cartoon penguins do make an appearance. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
Subscribe to the Week