- Watch this July 24
In a spot-on Funny or Die parody of Disney's Mary Poppins, Kristen Bell musically makes the case for raising the federal minimum wage.
In the sketch, Bell informs the Banks children, to their great dismay, that she is quitting her job as their nanny because she is "grossly underpaid." And since Mary Poppins is a musical, she then quickly launches into a song — to the tune of "A Spoonful of Sugar" — in which she explains her argument.
While the video is worth watching for Bell's performance alone (if you weren't already aware of Bell's massive pipes and awesome voice work for Frozen, this should do the trick), it also presents a convincing case for raising the minimum wage. After all, "in every job that must be done, you must be paid in more than fun."
Watch the Funny or Die video below — and yes, cartoon penguins do make an appearance. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week