- Watch this July 24
In a spot-on Funny or Die parody of Disney's Mary Poppins, Kristen Bell musically makes the case for raising the federal minimum wage.
In the sketch, Bell informs the Banks children, to their great dismay, that she is quitting her job as their nanny because she is "grossly underpaid." And since Mary Poppins is a musical, she then quickly launches into a song — to the tune of "A Spoonful of Sugar" — in which she explains her argument.
While the video is worth watching for Bell's performance alone (if you weren't already aware of Bell's massive pipes and awesome voice work for Frozen, this should do the trick), it also presents a convincing case for raising the minimum wage. After all, "in every job that must be done, you must be paid in more than fun."
Watch the Funny or Die video below — and yes, cartoon penguins do make an appearance. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week