- Never forget July 24
Remember when Alex Rodriguez got punched in the face for being Alex Rodriguez?
Today marks the 10-year anniversary of the infamous Red Sox-Yankees brawl that began with a routine plunking and ended with this iconic image of A-Rod getting a face full of mitt:
Rodriguez was then in his first year in pinstripes, and his Yankees had an 8.5-game cushion over Boston in the AL East. With a 3-0 lead in the third inning of a game at Fenway, Rodriguez took a pitch to the elbow from Bronson Arroyo and pouted his way toward first, jawing as he went. Sox catcher Jason Varitek stepped in and, after a little "come at me, bro" gesture from A-Rod, all hell broke loose.
Boston went on to win the game on a walk-off homer, and then, after staging a historic comeback over the Yankees in the ALCS, they went on to win the World Series, too. Red Sox fans still fondly remember the brouhaha as a turning point in the team's season.
The above image remains a fitting metaphor for how Boston fans feel about A-Rod. And given how Rodriguez has gone nuclear on just about everyone in the Yankees organization, the image probably fits the bill for New York fans, too.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week