- Never forget July 24
Remember when Alex Rodriguez got punched in the face for being Alex Rodriguez?
Today marks the 10-year anniversary of the infamous Red Sox-Yankees brawl that began with a routine plunking and ended with this iconic image of A-Rod getting a face full of mitt:
Rodriguez was then in his first year in pinstripes, and his Yankees had an 8.5-game cushion over Boston in the AL East. With a 3-0 lead in the third inning of a game at Fenway, Rodriguez took a pitch to the elbow from Bronson Arroyo and pouted his way toward first, jawing as he went. Sox catcher Jason Varitek stepped in and, after a little "come at me, bro" gesture from A-Rod, all hell broke loose.
Boston went on to win the game on a walk-off homer, and then, after staging a historic comeback over the Yankees in the ALCS, they went on to win the World Series, too. Red Sox fans still fondly remember the brouhaha as a turning point in the team's season.
The above image remains a fitting metaphor for how Boston fans feel about A-Rod. And given how Rodriguez has gone nuclear on just about everyone in the Yankees organization, the image probably fits the bill for New York fans, too.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week