- Watch this July 24
If you've been to Austin, Texas, perhaps you've participated in a birthday celebration for beloved Winnie the Pooh character Eeyore. The town hosts an annual Eeyore birthday party to benefit Austin's non-profit charity groups.
That's just one of the odd facts in this week's video by our friends at Mental Floss, hosted by John Green. Some of the other odd traditions include the fact that the World Toe Wrestling Championships are real, and Thailand hosts a Monkey Buffet Festival — for monkeys.
Many of the odd traditions focus on creative uses of food: People chase cheese down a hill in Gloucestershire, England; Italy is home to the Battle of the Oranges; and in Yorkshire, England, children race in pudding boats.
Check out the full list of incredible local traditions in the video below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
Subscribe to the Week