- Watch this July 24
If you've been to Austin, Texas, perhaps you've participated in a birthday celebration for beloved Winnie the Pooh character Eeyore. The town hosts an annual Eeyore birthday party to benefit Austin's non-profit charity groups.
That's just one of the odd facts in this week's video by our friends at Mental Floss, hosted by John Green. Some of the other odd traditions include the fact that the World Toe Wrestling Championships are real, and Thailand hosts a Monkey Buffet Festival — for monkeys.
Many of the odd traditions focus on creative uses of food: People chase cheese down a hill in Gloucestershire, England; Italy is home to the Battle of the Oranges; and in Yorkshire, England, children race in pudding boats.
Check out the full list of incredible local traditions in the video below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The week's best photojournalism
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week