- Watch this July 24
If you've been to Austin, Texas, perhaps you've participated in a birthday celebration for beloved Winnie the Pooh character Eeyore. The town hosts an annual Eeyore birthday party to benefit Austin's non-profit charity groups.
That's just one of the odd facts in this week's video by our friends at Mental Floss, hosted by John Green. Some of the other odd traditions include the fact that the World Toe Wrestling Championships are real, and Thailand hosts a Monkey Buffet Festival — for monkeys.
Many of the odd traditions focus on creative uses of food: People chase cheese down a hill in Gloucestershire, England; Italy is home to the Battle of the Oranges; and in Yorkshire, England, children race in pudding boats.
Check out the full list of incredible local traditions in the video below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week