- Watch this July 24
If you've been to Austin, Texas, perhaps you've participated in a birthday celebration for beloved Winnie the Pooh character Eeyore. The town hosts an annual Eeyore birthday party to benefit Austin's non-profit charity groups.
That's just one of the odd facts in this week's video by our friends at Mental Floss, hosted by John Green. Some of the other odd traditions include the fact that the World Toe Wrestling Championships are real, and Thailand hosts a Monkey Buffet Festival — for monkeys.
Many of the odd traditions focus on creative uses of food: People chase cheese down a hill in Gloucestershire, England; Italy is home to the Battle of the Oranges; and in Yorkshire, England, children race in pudding boats.
Check out the full list of incredible local traditions in the video below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week