- foreign affairs July 24
A woman sentenced to death after refusing to renounce her faith fled Sudan on Thursday — and met Pope Francis at the Vatican.
Meriam Ibrahim was accused of converting to Christianity from Islam, but said that while her father was Muslim, she never had been. Ibrahim told a judge that her father had abandoned the family when she was young and she was raised by her Orthodox Christian mother. She was sentenced to death and gave birth to a daughter, Maya, while in prison. After international pressure, Sudan released Ibrahim in June, and she has been living in the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum for a month.
Ibrahim traveled to the Vatican with her husband, son, and daughter, and met Pope Francis at his Santa Marta residence, the BBC reports. "The pope thanked her for her witness to faith," Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi said. The 30 minute meeting showed "closeness and solidarity for all those who suffer for their faith."
Ibrahim's lawyer, Mohamed Mostafa Nour, told BBC Focus on Africa that his client was "unhappy to leave Sudan. She loves Sudan very much. It's the country she was born and grew up in. But her life is in danger so she feels she has to leave." He said that two days ago, a group named Hamza made a statement that they would kill Ibrahim and anyone who helps her. Ibrahim may be gone from Sudan, but her legal troubles are not over: Last week, her father's family, claiming she is a Muslim, filed a lawsuit to get her marriage annulled.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Why colleges are buying .xxx web addresses
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week