- It's all in the timing July 25
On Thursday evening, First Lady Michelle Obama encouraged Democratic donors at a fundraiser in Chicago to spend big on Democratic candidates in the midterm elections. At the same event she used the bully pulpit to decry Republicans' use of large donations in previous election cycles, remarking:
So, yeah, there's too much money in politics. There's special interests that have too much influence. But they had all that money and all that influence back in 2008 and 2012 and we still won those elections.
The first lady also said:
There is something you can do right now today to make a difference, and that is to write a big, fat check. I kid you not. I'm going to be honest with you. That's what we need you to do right now. We need you to write the biggest, fattest check that you can possibly write.- - Bonnie Kristian
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week