- This just in July 25
Pope Francis may be coming to America, reports Catholic News Service.
Philadelphia Archbishop Charles J. Caput told attendees at a Thursday mass in Fargo, North Dakota, that the pope had accepted an invitation to attend next September's World Meeting of Families, to be held in Philadelphia.
"Pope Francis has told me that he is coming," the archbishop said, although the Philadelphia Archdiocese subsequently released a press release noting that the Vatican has not officially accepted the invitation, and probably would not do so until about six months before the event.
Still, a spokesman for the Vatican said today that Pope Francis is interested in making a trip to the U.S., and that in addition to the Philadelphia event he is also considering invitations from other cities — New York and Washington, D.C. — as well as an invitation to visit the United Nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week