- This just in July 27
Italy's Vincenzo Nibali won the Tour de France on Sunday, becoming the first Italian rider to do so since Marco Pantani in 1998.
The Tour was highlighted by a spate of crashes that early on eliminated some of the biggest names in the field. Defending champ Chris Froome dropped out after three crashes, while three-time winner Alberto Contador broke his leg after ramming into a pothole.
The 29-year-old Nibali won four stages of the tour, three of them in the grueling mountain phase.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Puppies take the plunge
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week