- Quotables July 27
Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright on Sunday succinctly summed up her view of what the world is like right now: It's a hot mess.
Appearing on Face the Nation, Albright said there were "two huge game-changers" that had shaken the world, one being Russia's annexation of Crimea, and the other being the handful of conflicts in the Middle East, most notably Israel's offensive in Gaza.
"There are an awful lot of things going on that need understanding and explaining," she said. "But to put it mildly, the world is a mess." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week