- This just in July 28
According to unnamed Western security forces, Hamas officials are brokering an arms deal with North Korea.
The deal would provide Hamas militants with missiles as well as communications equipment to be used against Israel, The Telegraph reports. Security officials told The Telegraph that the deal is "worth hundreds of thousands of dollars."
An unspecified Lebanese trading company with "close ties" to Hamas is handling the deal. The Telegraph reports that Hamas officials are believed to have made an initial payment to North Korea.
"Hamas is looking for ways to replenish its stocks of missiles because of the large numbers it has fired at Israel in recent weeks," a security official told The Telegraph. "North Korea is an obvious place to seek supplies because Pyongyang already has close ties with a number of militant Islamist groups in the Middle East."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Stop your unpatriotic fearmongering over ISIS
Subscribe to the Week